Chess is one of an emerging sports in the college as most of our players are achieving their best standards of the game among other schools in the district while targeting national level accomplishments.
Achievements in 2015
- 64 squares blitz tournament (National schools team tournament 3rd place)
Players: Thaariq Firdous, Yasindu Walisundera, A.B. Jayasundara, Vinuka Wijerathne
- A.B. Jayasundara achieved the 2nd place in Junior nationals Kandy district selections, 1st place in Tarrasch chess club team tournament and became the 2nd place in Schools individual selections of Kandy district.
- Vinuka Wijerathne became 1st in Tarrasch chess club team tournament and achieved 6th place in Schools individual selections of Kandy district.
- H.D.D.D. Gunarathne was able to reach 3rd place in National schools selections.
- S.C. Dissanayake participated in National schools selections, Schools individual finals, Majors Kandy selection and Junior national selection tournament as well as achieved the 1st place in Tarrasch chess club team tournament 2015.
According to the records, the Junior School Chess Club started in 2004.
Practices are held every week on Wednesdays from 2.30p.m to 4.30p.m at the Junior School premises with the Chess coach Mr. Rajeendra Kalugampitiya.
He is the best coach in the Island. He is the National Chess Champion 2016 and the Captain of the National Chess team. Also, he is a member of the National Chess team which won the category Gold medal at the World Chess Olympiad in 2014.He is number one in the National Blitz Rating Rank.
There are around 80 students participating for practices every Wednesday.
Our Chess Club awards a trophy for the Best Chess Player of the year (at the annual prize giving). Also, the Champion team of the Annual Inter house Chess Tournament receives a trophy.
Throughout the years we have performed well in the arena of Chess. The following are only a few of them.
The Sri Lanka Schools’ Individual Zonal Chess Festival 2016
Under 11 – three star level performance
- Master T.N.G. Rajarathne
- Master H.M.D.A.B. Herath
- Master B.Y. Kamburugamuwa
Inter School Individual Chess Festival – 2016 (Finals)
Under 11 – two star level performance
- 1. Master H.M.D.A.B. Herath
- Master L.W.B.Y. Kamburugamuwa
64 Squares International Chess Academy Team Tournament
Under 11 – Boys B team – 1st Runner – Up
- Master Sajaan Amrith
- Master Omiru Jayaweera
- Master Chenuka Thilakarathne
- Master Diluk Leo Alexander
Under 11 – Boys A team – Champions
- Master B.Y Kamburugamuwa
- Master H.M.D.A.B. Herath
- Master N.H. Jayasundara
- Master S.S. Herath
- CATEGORY Societies and Clubs