The appointment of the Executive Board of the Senior Scout Troop was made on the 14th February 2017 at the Trinity College Chapel in respect to the core values and the traditions of the troop since 1914.
- Troop Leader – Master Shihan Maharoof
- Troop Leader – Master Rashoav Ravindran
- Quarter Master – Master S.M.S.D. Seneviratne
The role played by the scouts at Trinity has always been a prominent one. We render our service in every event that is hosted by the College and also other authorities affiliated with the Educational Ministry and the Scouts’ Movement.
First Aid & Ushering Duty
- Annual Inter House Sports meet
- Annual Prize giving
- 100th Trinity – Antonian Cricket Encounter
- 73rd Bradby Shield Encounter
- Apart from these the scouts executed a special Shramadhana Campaign in order to eradicate dengue which became a vital issue at Trinity during the past year.
- The Scouts of Trinity were chosen to render their service as first aiders to the general public who visit Kandy during the “Asela Perehara”
- The scouts were also called upon by the Sri Lanka Telecom in their Annual Charity Program that focused on the issues faced by thalassemia affected children in Sri Lanka.
While performing their duties towards the school, the scouts organized events which highlighted the importance of scouting and further emphasized on the core values of the movement by establishing a strong brotherhood among the fellow scouts in the island. Following were events organized by the Senior Scout Troop in 2017.
- Annual Independence Day Alms-giving – The Senior Scouts conducted a fellowship program at the Mahaiyawa Elders’ Home which was followed by the Annual Independence Day alms-giving
- Annual Sinhala Tamil New Festival – The Senior Scout Troop hosted the Annual New Year celebrations of the Kandy region by organizing a New Year Festival to all the scouts and girl guides from Kandy.
- Annual Coffee Dansala to commemorate the Vesak Poya Day.
- The Annual Senior Scout Training Camp was held at the Mirigama Scout Training Center from the 29th of August to the 2nd of September 2017. 30 senior Scouts took part in the camp.
- The Annual Senior Explorers’ Hike was held from the 12th to 14th August, where 8 senior scouts were able reach the following mountains within 2 days: Kirigalpotta, Thotupola Kanda, and Pattipola.
- The troop had their Annual Hike on the 14th of December to the Uuragala mountain and the Katusu Konda mountain.
The Senior Scouts of Trinity represented the college with flying colours in several events organized by the Sri Lanka Scouts’ Association and the Educational Ministry.
- “Kanboree 2017” – The Kandy District Scouts’ Jamboree – 30 scouts of the Senior Scout Troop took part in the above event. Trinity College emerged Sub Camp Champions in: Site Inspection, Mapping, Pioneering, and Scouting History. While we bagged 3 Overall Titles (Mapping, Pioneering, and Scouting History)
- 9 scouts from Trinity were chosen to take part in the President’s Scout Evaluation Camp which was held in the Scout Training Center Pallekele.
- The Senior Scouts of Trinity emerged Champions at the H. De Seram All Island Memorial Challenge Exploration Competition and the SEGNO All Island Challenge Exploration Competition with Master Shihan Maharoof being awarded the Best Explorer on both occasions.
- The Senior Scouts emerged Runners Up at the J. Calverly Memorial Challenge Exploration while Shihan Maharoof was awarded the Best Explorer.
Significant Achievements in 2017
The highest rank a scout can aspire to be is the President’s Scout Award. To be awarded this, the scouts have to go through a very stringent process which includes a service period of 5 years, and where the scout has to complete all requirements of the award 3 months prior to his 18th birthday, or the scout will not be eligible to for the award. Despite these challenges the Scouts of Trinity have been successful in achieving the President’s Scout Award, indeed it is one of the very few troops in the island that has been able to do so.
President’s Scout Awards 2017
- Shihan Maharoof
- Rashoav Ravindran
- Sandrau Seneviratne
The year 2017 has been the most remarkable year in terms of exploration hikes. The Senior Scout Troop took part in 3 All Island exploration competitions and were able to secure the champions title on two occasions while they emerged runners up on the other occasion. This has been the best achievement by any troop across a calendar year.
Another significant factor to note is that Master Shihan Maharoof who anchored the team towards the above mentioned accomplishment was awarded the Best Explorer in all 3 occasions, the only Trinitian to have accomplished such an achievement in Trinity Scouting which has a legacy of over 100 years. Further, he is the only scout to have won 3 Best Explorer titles across a specific calendar year.
The year 2017 was undoubtedly one of the most remarkable years in the history of Trinity scouting. The 17th Legion is what it is today as a result of the hard work of the eminent set of scouts who elevated the standards of Trinity scouting to an exceptional level. We hope that the scouts in years to come would take up the spirit of Trinity scouting and keep reaching higher and higher standards.
Troop Leader’s Thoughts
It’s time to finally bid farewell to one of the toughest yet an amazing journey. Being a full-blooded Scout of Trinity, the 17th Legion has been my pillar of strength, empowering all the endeavours that I have come across at Trinity. So that I have realized no matter what ever I do in return, I shall remain in debt.
The challenges I have faced and the qualities embedded in me as a scout have always been and will continue to bring out the best out of me.
The 17th Legion shall rightfully remain immortal in my heart and the memories I have made here will be cherished with a hidden drop of tear and a sense of nostalgia.
Possessing a bond that’s beyond brotherhood and a culture of its own, the legacy shall live long.
Be Prepared | Respice Finem
President’s Scout Shihan Maharoof
(Troop Leader 2017)