The Royal College MAS Arena was lit up on the 24th and 25th of May 2018 for the Inter School Weightlifting Championship 2018. The event featured participants from many schools around the island in both the Men’s and Women’s categories. The event was graced by Royal College Principal, Mr.B.A Abeyratne, Deputy Principal of Royal College , Senior Games Master of Royal College and many who have represented Sri Lanka in weightlifting.
The weightlifters from Trinity put on a great performance on both days of the event and brought glory to Trinity by winning 3 Gold, 3 Silver, and 3 Bronze medals.
Winners of the Gold Medals:
- B.J Wijewickrama – Under 20 (85kg Category)
- G.G.K.J Gamage – Under 20 (77kg Category)
- E.N Bodhinarayana – Under 17 (94kg Category)
Winners of the Silver Medals:
- P.D Jayasooriya – Under 20 (94kg Category)
- S.N Abeywarne – Under 20 (77kg Category)
- J.M.N.T Jayakody – Under 20 (62kg Category)
Winners of the Bronze Medals:
- M Wickramasekara – Under 17 (77kg Category)
- M Mayadunne – Under 20 (56kg Category)
- A Weerarathne – Under 20 (69kg Category)
Bevishan Wijewickrama from Trinity College emerged as the ‘Best Lifter’ in the Under 20 Category. (Achievement : Snatch 110kg , Clean & Jerk 160kg = Total 270kg).
Trinity College emerged as overall 3rd place in the meet and secured the highest number of points in the Under 20 Category.
The Trinity College weightlifting team extends its sincere gratitude to Mr. M. Wijerathne (Coach) for his effort in training the members and Mr. Galagoda (M.I.C) for the support and guidance given throughout the tournaments.
The team is led by B.J. Wijewickrama and his deputy P.D. Jayasooriya who wishes to achieve excellence at the next few Championships as well during the course of this year. The next upcoming meet, Central Province Weightlifting Championship is scheduled to take place on 05th June 2018.
Review by Abidh Jameel (Junior Trinity College Literary Association)