The Astronomy and Astrophysics Resource Centre (AARC) was launched on Sunday, 6 May 2018. The alumni from the Batch of ’98 and well-wishers of Trinity have joined hands with the Principal and Administration to design and develop an astronomy laboratory. The project was handed over in a ceremony which followed a special multi-faith service at the College Chapel. The centre was opened by Principal Andrew Fowler-Watt, Past Principal Lt. Col. Leonard de Alwis and the President of the Astronomical Society.
After consulting experts both in Sri Lanka and abroad for over 2 years, an observatory using the best available technology and pedagogical methodology was developed. Trinitians from many corners of the world came together to make this dream a reality. Presently, the AARC is located at the junior school grounds, which enables students to observe the cosmos using the 6 telescopes and 7 binoculars with ease. Along with the equipment and other resources to kindle an interest in the wider universe.
AARC aims to be a centre of excellence for Astronomy and Astrophysics Studies for students of Trinity and the wider community. AARC seeks experts and enthusiasts who can conduct seminars or workshops, introductions and has reached out to several universities and astronomy institutes to discuss potential partnerships (lecturers, media libraries, remote telescope access, etc.)
As part of the development plans for Trinity’s 150th anniversary, the College is aiming to build an observation roof deck that adjoins an astrophysics lab in a new science block. After construction, the AARC will move to its new premises in the Upper School just below the Holy Trinity Chapel.
Trinity was once one of the only schools in Sri Lanka to have its very own observatory. In 1933, when Trinity’s first Observatory was built, it was the largest telescope in Ceylon.