The Trinity College Weightlifting team won the Junior Nationals Weightlifting Championship organized by the Sri Lanka Weightlifting Federation for the 11th consecutive year.
The meet was held on the 21st to the 24th of December 2018 at the Sports Ministry Auditorium, Colombo.
The meet is held under three categories: Youth, Junior and Senior. After months of hard training the team finally achieved their goal of winning the Junior National Weightlifting Championship.
The following lifters qualified to participate at the 4 day long meet,
- Bevishan Wijewickrama (captain)
- Prabash Jayasuriya (vice captain)
- Kevin Gamage
- Nadupa Jayakody
- Oshen Gunawardena
- Malith Mayadunne
- Patrick Jayasundara
- Damian Tennakoon
- Nimesha Ekanayake
- Esanda Bodhinarayana
- Reshan Karawita
- Shanna Kamburugamuwa
- S. Ladhushagar
- Rahul Jayaram
- Udara Thilakarathne
- Thamindu Perera
- Arun Prasath
- Missaka Wickramasekara
- Abidh Jameel
The following lifters won gold medals,
- E.R Bodhinarayana (U17 , 96kg weight category)
- G.G.K.J Gamage ( U20, 81kg weight category)
- B.J Wijewickrama ( U20, 89kg weight category)
- P.D Jayasuriya ( U20, 102kg weight category)
The following lifters won silver medals,
- P.S.T.B Jayasundara ( U20,109+kg weight category)
- N.C Ekanayake ( U20, 109kg weight category)
The following lifters won bronze medals,
- N.T Jayakody ( U20, 61kg weight category)
- D.R Tennakoon ( U20, 109+kg weight category)
- S. Ladhushagar ( U18, 102kg Weight Class)
Kevin Gamage was placed 3rd in the Senior Category in the 81 kg weight category as well. He competed among lifters such as Chinthana Vidanage who is a Commonwealth Games Medalist. Trinity won two Senior medals when Bevishan Wijewickrama was placed 3rd in the 89kg weight category.
With a lot of hard work and dedication the team completed the year with four titles under their belt. The team hope to win all the titles that come along their way in 2019.
The team would like to thank their Coach Mr M. Wijerathne, Master-in-Charge Mr K.B. Galagoda and everyone else who helped the team to finish the year on a high note.
Review by Abidh Jameel