Trinity College Weightlifting team continues their great run in 2018 as the team comprehensively won the All-Island Schools Weightlifting Championship organized by the Sri Lanka Schools Weightlifting Powerlifting Strength Building Federation (part of the Sri Lanka Weightlifting Federation). The meet was held on 27th and 28th of October 2018 at M/Rajagiri Vidyalaya, Aranayake.
The senior weightlifting players and the officials motivated the team to their third championship for 2018. The team won the Central Province Weightlifting Championship and the All-Island Weightlifting Championship earlier in the year.
The team bagged 9 gold, 2 silver and two bronze medals during the course of the two day competition.
Gold medals were won by:
- Abidh Jameel (U16, 56kg category)
- Missaka Wickramsekara (U16, 85kg category)
- Yahadasun Rathnayake (U16, 94kg category)
- Reshan Karawita (U18, 69kg category)
- Esanda Bodhinarayana (U18, 94kg category)
- S. Ladhushagar (U18, 105kg category)
- Nadupa Jayakody (U20, 62kg category)
- Kevin Gamage (U20, 77kg category)
- Prabash Jayasooriya (U20, 105kg category)
The following lifters won silver medals:
- Malith Mayadunne (U20, 69kg category)
- Oshen Guanwardena (U20, 85kg category)
The bronze medals were won by:
- Shanna Kamburugamuwa (U18, 62kg category)
- Damien Tennakoon (U20, 105+ kg category)
Kevin Gamage of Trinity College was adjudged the ‘Best Lifter’ as he snatched 110kg, breaking Lionsman Lochana Girihagama’s record of 108kg. Although he had previously broken the record by lifting 113kg in the ‘National Sports Festival’ (Open Meet), this was the first instance where he broke the record in an inter-school meet. (Snatch;110kg, Clean and Jerk; 122kg, Total = 232kg).
The Trinity Weightlifting team is looking forward to defending the title they won in 2017 at the Junior and Senior Nationals, under the guidance of Mr K.B.Galagoda (MIC) and Mr M. Wijerathne (Coach).
Review by Abidh Jameel